Sunday 9 June 2013

Downsizing ...


My most recent photo walk, Wednesday 5 June, was something of a revelation. After 30-odd years shooting with SLRs (and preferring the SLR way of framing via the viewfinder), I discovered I’m now more at home street shooting with my Ricoh GRD. (I suspect the reason for this is that I’ve developed a method of shooting with the Ricoh whereby I hold the camera slightly to one side at the hip and compose the shot. I think this looks to subject/s as if I’m checking a previously-taken shot.)

Using an SLR for street photography, however, is more up-front and in your face. If you put the camera to your eye (the most obvious way to shoot with this type of camera), your subject can be aware of your intentions. To counteract this, I’ve been shooting either from the hip or, with the D90, pretending to check the top LCD screen while aiming the lens and taking the photograph.

I’ve found, however, using this method with the SLR is a bit hit-and-miss when it comes to focussing. The Ricoh overcomes this with its snap-focus function, which I must say I’ve found invaluable.

Good as the Ricoh is, though, its small 1/1.7 sensor just can’t deliver the same image quality as a APC-sized sensor — or such was the case until recently, when Pentax Ricoh brought out the fifth incarnation of its GRD line ... new GR. The 16 mp APC-sensor in the GR offers the same resolution as my D90 ... in a camera which is only fractionally bigger than the GRD 1V!

As taking street pictures is now my main photographic interest, I made a decision to buy the new Ricoh GR, which I’ve pre-ordered this week. To help pay for it, I’m off-loading my D90 (no easy decision). It was, however, prompted by reality: I’ve only used it twice in the last year while, on the other hand, I use the Ricoh almost on every shoot. (I’m not giving up SLR photography altogether, however, I still have my trusty D40 and F65 film camera.)

My thoughts on the Ricoh GR (and some sample pictures) in a future post. Meanwhile, some pictures from my most recent photo outing with the D90 and 24mm lens ...

A case for a wee rest ...

Patient Pooch

Middle of the road ...
Coffee time ...
Double parked

2 comments:

  1. Randomly found your blog doing constant Ricoh GR searches, just wanted to say I'm taking this route, as well. Currently own a D7000, but it barely gets any use, as I never feel like bringing it along with me, even though I exclusively use the 35mm 1.8 with it, it's still too much for me to carry on a consistent basis. Initially thought it was a crazy idea to give up my DSLR for it (it will be my main camera), but this camera makes makes me excited to actually be able to have a quality camera on me at all times. Just seems like a no-brainer. Here's to hoping we can get our hands in one relatively soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Jason

      Many thanks for your comment. Yes, I’ve been using SLRs since the 1980s, during which period I shot images mostly for publication (interview features, articles, etcetera). Since retiring, though, I’ve become more interested in street photography and, as mentioned in the blog, I find SLRs are largely unsuited to that type of photography.

      The Ricoh GRD IV is an excellent camera and I’ve very much enjoyed using it (and will keep it and continue to use), but from all I’ve read (and the sample images I’ve seen ) I think the new Ricoh will be an improvement in terms of image quality. Mine’s on pre-order with Amazon UK, which have recently updated their wait time from 1-2 months to 1-4 weeks, so fingers crossed we won’t have a long wait.

      Re you question on whether I use and optical viewfinder with the Ricoh. I don’t, because of the way I frame a picture (held level with my hip and slightly to the right). As I’ve mentioned elsewhere, I think this looks to the subject (if indeed they see me at all) as if I’m checking a previously-taken picture. I think to use an optical viewfinder would call attention to the fact I’m pointing the camera in their direction.

      Delete